We have all had those moments when hunger pangs hit you suddenly and you find yourself pacing around the kitchen looking for anything even remotely edible to fill the sudden hole in your stomach. Luckily, today on L&A, we’d like to share with you a current favourite recipe that can be prepped, cooked and eaten within 5 minutes. That’s right, a delicious hot meal in about the same time it takes to make a bowl of cereal (at least how long it takes me to make cereal when I’m stumbling around the house blurry eyed at 6am).
Introducing the wonder that is… Pesto Pancakes!
They may not be the most beautiful things to gaze upon but I guarantee you that they taste amazing and are super filling. The recipe was shown to us originally by our good friend Jose, who is a huge fan of all things Nigella Lawson, and now it has become a staple dish in our house.
How do I make these nommy treats I hear you ask? All you’ll need is some basic ingredients that are likely already hiding in your kitchen cupboards.
- 1 part flour and pesto to 2 parts milk (for 2 people, I usually use 100g flour and pesto to 200ml milk)
- 1 big egg
- Your savoury pancake toppings i.e. ham, cream cheese, cheddar, salami, a fried egg…
- Coat and heat a frying pan with some oil and use some kitchen paper to wipe away any excess.
- Mix flour, pesto, egg and milk together in a mixing bowl.
- Pour a nice blob into the pan, swirl it around to spread out the mixture and cook for 30-60 seconds.
- Try to show off and flick the pan sharply upwards to flip the pancake.
- Scrape pancake off the ceiling while repeating Step 3 and then skipping to Step 6.
- Flip pancake over with spatula and cook other side for 30-60 seconds.
- Transfer pancake to a plate and repeat until all the mixture is used up.
- Slap all your favourite toppings on the pancakes and ENJOY!
Try it out and let us know what you think or simply pop over and we’ll whip some up for you before you can say “Please sir, can I have some more?!”