I’m a little teapot, short and stout…
Officially my favourite restaurant in Japan!
This is an amazing post for you all. I lived in Japan for almost five years and have eaten literally all kinds of weird and wonderful things, from stuff that’s definitely still alive or smells highly inedible. There has been a lot of very cheap meat on rice alongside priceless sushi. In comparison to Berlin, the customer service is amazing, but I have never had bad service anywhere in Japan, so picking my absolute favourite place is difficult.
However, Tom Sawyer in Komono Town, Mie Prefecture wins every time. And here is why:
– Hiro is the coolest restaurant owner ever! Tom Sawyer is open all week except Tuesdays, when he practices bass guitar with his band in the back room. Then every few months he holds a concert in the restaurant – always packed out and fun!
– He knows how much I love Michael Buble and whenever I go into the shop, he puts on my favourite album, but starts it at the second song, as he knows I don’t like the first track!
– The food is delicious! I ALWAYS get the Ebi to Kaibashira no Kuri-mu So-su. Basically, chunky prawns and scallops in creamy white sauce on spaghetti noodles. YUM!
– Hiro always lets me and my friends have parties in his place. He will literally close the entire restaurant and we grab his band and sing for our friends. Legend!
- I always get free dessert!
– I am all over his shop – in photos and my handprint on the walls! So many memories, I love going back inside and seeing all those photos!
– He speaks some English and will always try and chat to whoever I bring inside, from my family to my friends!
– He loves music as much as me and we used to give each other CDs – I still have them all and listen to them regularly!
– He learnt to cook in Italy, so the food is nommilicious!
– You can sit in the restaurant for HOURS, drinking their delicious coffee from all over the world and eating cake and Italian goodies without feeling rushed or that you are being pushed out of the door!
- You will ALWAYS bump into people you know here!
– Such an epic place, I even translated the menu for free into English!
– Come here the night before the Komono Marathon to stock up on your carbs!
– The view! You can see the highest mountain range in Mie Prefecture in the distance – stunning!
– If you are a fussy eater, he will literally take bits out you don’t like and add other goodies!
Tom Sawyer: 2348 Komono, Mie District, Mie Prefecture 510-1233, Japan. Tel: +81 59-394-2808